I was hoping for picture-perfect berry plants to post updates on.
Sadly, they aren’t. We moved, and then had two weeks of unseasonably cold, wet weather. Rainfall records were set. Temperatures hit lows they hadn’t hit in 50 years. That, plus a move in the spring to a new environment, plus getting whipped around in the wind during the move (we did our best to shelter them), and we have pretty bummed out looking plants.
I don’t feel too awful, though. We have friends with plants from the same batch, and theirs look about the same as far as yellow leaves go. I think we just had too much cold and not enough light.
That said, here are some pics:
I currently have my pots arranged up near the house – hopefully, we’ll get a garden fenced in soon, and I can get these in the ground!
We are getting a few berries! I’ve gotten a couple of handfuls so far, and more are ripening up. It’s nice that these canes put all their energy into making seeds, and thus, berries, in the summer. The irony, of course, is that they propagate best from the starts that come up from the roots.
This is the other reason I’m not horribly concerned. While the older vines look like they’ve been put through the wringer, the starts (new vines) look great. My hope is that I’ll be able to get some of these divided off soon, and within a year or three have plenty of plants and some to share.
Mom says her patch (on the other side of the mountains, where the sun lives) is doing great. She’s harvested several flats (that’s whole-pint flats, not half-pint) from her plants, which are from the same source.
That’s the July berry update!